Gutter guards are installations placed above your gutters to keep unwanted leaves and debris from entering and blocking your gutter systems. If there’s no blockage on your gutters, water can freely flow through them. There are a wide variety of gutter guard types; they are typically made of PVC, wire mesh, foam inserts, and more and differ in price and durability.
Advantages of Having a Gutter Guard
A properly installed gutter guard can give you a few advantages. But before you have guards installed into your gutter systems, here are some of the advantages you need to know:
- Reduce the Need for Extensive Cleaning – Since its main purpose is to block any debris from getting into your gutter system, it reduces the time and effort you need for extensive gutter cleaning. It will depend on what type of gutter guard you installed.
- Reduce the Chance of Ice Dam Formation – Ice and snow are bad for your gutter system. Snow will melt on your roof and refreeze into ice multiple times during this period, forming ice dams. They can block the flow of water, which can result in extensive damage to your home.
- Eliminate Pest Infestations – Besides protecting your gutters from debris, gutter guards can also protect you from unwanted pests and keep them from building their new home there. These guards and covers can minimize the amount of stagnant water that can form. Mosquitoes and other pests need it to breed and grow.
Disadvantages of Having a Gutter Guard
Although you cannot deny that installing a gutter guard can work, there can still be some disadvantages. Here are just a few of them:
- May Not Work With Your Gutters– Some gutters are not applicable for installing gutter guards. This depends on type of installation of the gutters as well as type and size.
- Type of Trees – There are a few types of trees that can cause some issues with the type of debris that falls on your leaf guards. We recommend having us come out to assess what leaf guards work the best for your gutter situation.
Those are some of the common pros and cons of gutter guards. If you need roofing and guttering work done, look no further than Plumlee Construction. We can help you with any issues with your roof and gutter system.